Monday 10 October 2011

Aside 1 - Salaries in 1961

Salaries in those days sound quite silly because of the huge inflation since those times. I started work in the bank on £360 or £30 a month. Being on monthly pay immediately meant that I had to borrow from my Dad to get through the first month because of train fares and lunches etc. I also needed a suit and so on. £30 a month can be put into perspective if you consider that my Underground trip on the Northern Line from Tooting Broadway to The Bank station cost a grand £2 per month for the 7 mile train ride.

I got a small rise on my 17th birthday because, in those days, there was a salary scale in the bank that rose annually until you reached 31 and then you had to pitch for it. When I went to Mullards, it was weekly pay and mine was £7 17s 6p. Remember good old pounds, shillings and pence. That's £7 87½p in today's money.

I will have further to say on this topic - later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cars - 1

 I thought that I might take a break from historic events and try and explain my trip through a variety of cars. This will be a simple list ...